Skip to main content

Obtaining an Initial I-20

Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility/I-20

The United States government requires all international applicants requesting to be sponsored on a student visa by Pacific Oaks College to provide proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses for their first academic year. Each student requesting visa sponsorship and relying on a personal or family support must furnish documentation indicating they can cover these required expenses. Please see below for specifics and bank documentation requirements. Please note that these estimates may change at any time.

What is an I-20?

Form I-20 is a United States Department of Homeland Security document issued by colleges and universities that provides supporting information for the issuance of a student visa (F, J and M non-immigrant statuses). The form also includes a student tracking number through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

How to obtain an Initial I-20

All admitted international students must submit detailed financial statements before a Form I-20 can be processed. Admitted students must submit certified bank statements in English verifying they have sufficient funds available to finance their first year’s tuition and living expenses. Please see the information below to determine the minimum proof of funding you will need to provide.

Because some embassy officials verify students’ financial documents, students should obtain original copies of all financial documents. The cost estimate for living expenses covers only minimal essential expenditures. Expenses for clothing, recreation, and incidentals are variable, and the cost of travel outside of your city is not included.

**Note – Students admitted to the United States on student visas have working restrictions. Therefore, employment while in the U.S. can not be anticipated as a means of financial support. It is very important that international students who wish to study at POC are prepared to financially support the cost of their education during the entire time that they expect to remain in the United States.

Obtaining an Initial I-20

Submit the following documents to your Director of Admissions:

  1. New Student Information Form  – must be signed by both the student and the sponsor. *Please note that in addition to this information, students transferring from another U.S. institution will need to also complete a Transfer In Form and contact their current DSO to initiate a SEVIS record transfer to Pacific Oaks College.
  2. Copy of passport
  3. Proof of financial ability – for minimum amounts required, please review estimated expenses. Based on your degree program, the total amount is the amount you will need to provide documentation.

When should evidence of financial support be submitted?

You may wish to submit your financial documentation with your application and other materials. If so, your documents will be reviewed after you are approved for admission. Your financial documents may no longer be valid at the time of this review.

How can I request an I-20 for my dependent?

If you wish to bring your spouse or child to live with you in the United States while you study, you must budget for additional living expenses, and provide proof of financial coverage in order for your campus DSO to issue you an I-20 for your dependent (F-2). Allow for an additional $5400 for spouse and $4300 for child. These estimates do not include the insurance plan. A dependent can be a spouse or child under the age of 21.

How do I defer my admission to a later semester?

If you wish to defer your admission to a later semester, you must contact your Admissions Counselor. Informing your campus DSO of deferral does not officially defer your acceptance to POC.

Additional Resources for International Applicants:

  • Applying for a U.S. Visa
  • Crossing the Border
  • Tips once you are in the United States
Chat Live