Pacific Oaks College & Children’s School has played a crucial role in the development of early childhood education in the U.S. since 1945. Our faculty have developed innovative curriculum and tools that are widely used in early childhood and teacher training programs—both in the U.S. and throughout the world. Pacific Oaks established the anti-bias curriculum that has now been implemented in schools across the United States and is often required reading in early childhood teacher training courses.
Our bachelor’s and master’s programs emphasize pioneering approaches to childhood development, such as learning-through-play and experiential learning. Meeting the necessary credentialing requirements for the state of California, graduates of programs in the School of Education are prepared to find fulfilling careers in public or private institutions.
School of Education Mission
The mission of the School of Education at Pacific Oaks College is to prepare professional educators who understand diversity, are grounded in human development, and value children.
We believe that:
- awareness of diversity is integral to an educational process in which each individual is valued for their own identity, culture, language, and ability, and where discrimination against others is identified and challenged;
- teachers as well as students must be involved in meaningful learning experiences characterized by inquiry, reflection, and support. Our courses model learning environments that consider current knowledge about human development;
- to best serve children in public or private schools, teachers must learn to integrate constructivist approaches, standards-based instruction, evidence-based assessment and technology within a challenging and engaging curriculum.
School of Education Programs
Early Childhood Education
These degrees will prepare graduates to educate children from birth through 8 years old.
- B.A. Early Childhood Education
- B.A. Early Childhood Education Trauma Specialization
- B.A. Early Childhood Education STEAM Specialization
- B.A. Early Childhood Education: Elementary Education and Special Education
- B.A. Early Childhood Education: Elementary Education
- M.A. Early Childhood Education
- M.A. Early Childhood Education, Trauma Studies
- Early Childhood Education Certificate in STEAM
Online Early Childhood Education Degree Programs
- Online B.A. Early Childhood Education
- Online B.A. Early Childhood Education: Elementary Education and Special Education
- Online B.A. Early Childhood Education: Elementary Education
Meeting the academic requirements for California Commission Teacher Credentialing, our master’s programs help graduates advance into teaching careers at any level of elementary or secondary education.
Online Education Degree Programs
Teacher Credentialing (Stand Alone)
These programs prepare students for California certification by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential (CA)
- Preliminary Education Specialist Teaching Credential (CA)